Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Faux Cross Stitch and the Plaidmaking Stencil


Welcome to Thursday's Dream Schemes...it is a free challenge week for the team and I have decided to do the Faux Cross-stitch Technique and also use the new stripe stencil (LX7002) to do some plaidmaking with the Memories Mists sprays as you see in the background of this card.

The faux cross stitch technique was done on top of the Dreamweaver Embossing Paste (DEP) after it was dry. To do this simple technique first paste the two owls stencil (LL3013), remove the stencil and set the pasted cardstock aside for half an hour to dry. While it is drying you can do the background. Our new Plaid maker stencil is a stencil with stripes. You can place your cardstock in a cardboard box, and position the striped stencil on this cardstock and spray it with the Memories Mist color green tea (MM19)... holding the spray bottle about 12-18 inches away from the stencil. Then gently pick up the stencil and turn it 90 degrees and place it on the same cardstock so the next stripes will be perpendicular to the first ones you sprayed with the green tea color. This time use the Wheatgrass color (MM05) to now create the plaid effect. Just a couple of spritzes with the Memories Mists spray bottle is all you need. You want wherever the colors overlap to be somewhat translucent to create that third color and if you spray too heavily you won't get this effect.

Now that the paste is dry, reposition the stencil (LL3013) onto the owls, and very lightly stencil some soft tones onto the owls...I used pale gray, and light brown pigment inks onto the owls and yellow onto beaks and talons and finish this first layering with a pale green on the leaves. Next position a small piece of fiberglass screen (SC) at a diagonal on top of the stencil using removable tape. Now this time you will want to stencil darker colors through the screen, dark grays onto the light gray and dark brown onto the light brown areas. The beak and branch also receive the darker brown and the leaves a brighter green. Remove the screen and stencil their eyes with a dark gray or black ink.

The saying was done digitally but I used the "hoot" stencil (LG734) and made just a bit of bright green embossing paste by mixing green tube acrylic into my regular matte embossing paste (DEP).

If anyone would like to play along you can do so. The faux cross stitch technique is quite simple and there are variations on it too. You can dry emboss first instead of paste-embossing or you can stencil directly onto cardstock. If you are interested in the instructions you can email me at lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com and as for the Faux Cross-stitch instruction sheet and I will email them to you.



12 comments:

Louise said...

So cute Lynell, these little guys are one of my favorites from the new release!

Taylor said...

Ohmygosh, Lynell- these little owls are too cute!! LOVE it!

Deborah March said...

You ROCK that plaid Lynell!

Barbara said...

This is adorable - this will be my project this weekend!!!

sommrstamping said...

Love the plaid and the owls. I'm so inspired I think this is going to be a stay in and craft weekend.

Pam Hornschu said...

Gotta try the Memories Mists with the plaid stencil! Love the sentiment you put together! Sounds like you and Wayne!

Liz Martin said...

Love the look of the plaid with Memories Mist, but the sentiment is the best!

Wendy said...

I can't wait to try the Faux Cross stitch. I just got my tutorial with my cross stitch screen. On day things will calm down for me. Thank you so much for all you do Lynell!!! You are a total inspiration everyday!! I hope you enjoy the rest of the week and you have a super weekend!!

Terrece said...

How adorable. I would never have thought to do the owls in Faux Cross stitch. I love it!

Donna said...

I love this card, Lynell. And the faux cross stitch is a perfect match for the design. The owls are adorable. Great job. :-) Donna Lane

Laura Drahozal said...

You are so masterful--especially with the plaid. Beautiful work, as always, Lynell. (I posted some of my England trip)

Anonymous said...

Great timing for this challenge! I'm actually teaching a class at Stampin Cat next week that uses this technique!

Post a Comment